Now that spring is here, the warmer temperatures and large to do lists that have been generated throughout the winter months have many of us anxious to begin the process of spring cleaning. The lifting, bending, climbing, trimming, and other activities that come with cleaning the insides of our homes and working outside on the lawns and gardens makes our bodies more susceptible to injury. It is important to make sure that you are taking the proper steps to keep your spine healthy as you begin your spring cleaning activities. Below are tips on the proper lifting technique.
• Use your legs with a straight back to lift heavy objects. You should bend at your knees and not at your waist
• Keep the object you are lifting close to your body
• Do not twist at the waist. Instead, move your feet to turn your body when moving objects
• When you get tired, rest
• Start slowly. It is best to work on building up your tolerance to activity, especially if you have been inactive during the winter months.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for help when lifting heavy objects.
If you or someone you know has suffered an injury due to spring cleaning, please contact our office to schedule an appointment. Let us help you return to your activities as quickly and effectively as possible.